Saturday, March 19, 2011

Part 8 "Volcanoes"


Water Volcano
Michelle writes:
I am surrounded by mountains and volcanos. The local landmark is the rain volcano on the west side of 6th Avenue, the main drag.  There are also the fire and water volcanoes: the fire volcano is active, and somone asked if I saw the plume of smoke rising from it the other night. Amazing to be so close to an active volcano!!  The mother of my host family, Dora Luz,  said her village is on the other side of the volcano, and when it erupted several years ago, it wiped out her village.  In the most recent eruption, only two were killed. They were taking pictures!
I took a picture of the volcano this morning before the pollution and clouds rolled in. Warm days and cool nights. I'm liking the sunshine!! My knee is doing well; even with all the walking at Tikal, I had no problems. 
Fire and Acetenango Volcanoes
I'm helping at the Scheel Center now when not with the babies.  I'm working on a spreadsheet for attendence and other statistics. I have a ways to go to feel comfortable, as everything is in Spanish. Good practice for me. I try to remember where the different functions are in Excel, as I have a hard time navigating the language. But I'm a volunteer, and they appreciate any little bit you can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment