Saturday, March 19, 2011

Part 10 "Mops and Margaritas"


UP-DATE FROM MICHELLE:  My news is that I have had a change of plans and am staying for another two months!!  Oh my gosh, the freedom to follow your heart.  I am so very blessed to have this time and opportunity.  I will write more later; it´s been a busy week, again!  Am loving it!

Previously, Michelle had written:
Life is busy with volunteering in the morning and Spanish school in the afternoon. My housemate was leaving, so we went out the past two nights. I had a great margarita made with mint and herbs! Of course, they have the usual, but I'm always up for something new, and it was worth it. The drinks are between $5 and $7. The other day I bought a beer for the evening for $2. I shared with my host family. They said beer was so expensive they didn't buy it. It is all perspective.
Saturday several parents came to visit and help care for their babies.  It was nice to have extra hands to feed and diaper. It gives the nurses a much needed break. 

Last night, there was a volunteer and just one nurse when a girl with epilepsy had a seizure. We arrived to find alcohol swabs on the floor and the IV hanging (which I've seen in the US as well). I'm sure it gets crazy, and they really do an amazing job. The girl went to the hospital for now. The hospital refers many children to Casa Jackson, knowing they need long-term care and can't stay. Casa Jackson is a small-scale (capacity of 20 children) longer-term hospital focusing on nutrition, as that is a huge problem here and impacts brain and motor skill development profoundly. 

Today I swept and mopped, only to find out that the disinfectant was gone! A long-term volunteer had sent me an email asking if I could help purchase some disinfectant. I hadn't realized the need was so imminent! The mop is a broom with a towel over it. It's a bare bones operation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment