Saturday, March 19, 2011

Part 6 "Dreamer Center"


Michelle writes:
The Dreamer Center is the main facility with a school, the Friday food distribution, a doctor's office, a kitchen facility for the preparation of student meals and the homeless meal, and administrative offices.

I will have more pictures of the babies soon. Right now, there are too many crying ones. One set of twins are only 3 pounds at 6 weeks old. Today a baby decided to vomit all over the two of us! I noticed my hair had clumped together. It's all part of the deal.
Older children enjoy the Dreamer Center playground.
There are over 200 students at this location.
There are many Spanish schools here. I'm surprised how many tourists come to learn the language. Then you can Skype from home to continue your lessons. Spanish class is going well considering I'm not studying much with my 8-hour day and evening socializing. So tonight I study. Today, my teacher played a song, with the lyrics on strips of paper that I had to organize. Then I translated the words and picked out the verbs, nouns and adjectives. The song "Las Casas de Carton" tells of the land owners and the poor conditions for the workers. At one point in time, it was banned in Chile. Many of these people still work in horrid conditions.

Volunteers that I’ve met so far are here from Spain, Germany, Canada, and the US. There was an article in the faith section of The Missoulian on January 29th about a service team that served here; my housemate was one of them. 
Cheryl's note: Here's the link to that article:

No comments:

Post a Comment