Saturday, March 19, 2011

Part 4 "A Night with the Babies"


Michelle writes:
I spent last night at the Center with the babies. Only one or two would cry at any given time, thank goodness. There was just a nurse and myself for the 12-hour shift. The nurse was amazing; she’s used to working alone many nights. She was efficient: in the time it took me to feed three babies, she could feed the other 11!!  They ate at 8 p.m., 11:30 p.m., and 5 am. 
Above is the Casa Jackson lunch for the toddlers. Feeding can be a slow process some days. I could hold one baby and play and sing, and that was great entertainment for the whole room. I did get to sleep for a few hours between feedings. We also diapered after feeding. The poor little burned girl would just scratch and scratch her scarred skin while I was changing her diaper.
All shifts require folding clothes and putting them away, sweeping and mopping floors. My housemate worked there this morning and three more toddlers (1-2 yrs) arrived. They were evaluated and were admitted because of nutritional needs, so now there are 17 children.
Here are some pictures of the house where I'm staying.
Our Kitchen
Sink on the Back Wall of Our Kitchen
My Room
When I help serve at the homeless shelter, my host mother will have dinner ready early for me. They are very accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment