Saturday, March 19, 2011

Part 13 "Finding Myself"


Michelle writes:
Well, I think I now know why I had to come so far away to find myself. I feel so free here. It's just me and no one else to rely on. It's empowering to be in a strange place, knowing I’m OK and will figure out what I need to know, on my own. Being married for so long, I needed to know I can be okay, and in the States it just isn't the same with my safety network of family and friends. Although by writing and posting, I'm still not alone, because you all are with me.
The people I meet are great. Yesterday, I had lunch with Ginny from Vermillion, South Dakota, who is here for 2-1/2 months. She has been involved with a group that sells products from Guatemala, such as organic coffee and textiles, in a fair trade shop in Vermillion. They have return customers for the coffee, and then hope they will also buy gifts. The chocolate here is pretty good also! 
The originator of this project will be in Guatemala next week. Once again  timing came through for me. I'll meet with them next week at their project at Santiago Atitlan, a village on Lake Atitlan. They have a shelter for older women where I want to volunteer. "Sharing the Dream" is their website at: http://www.sharingthedream.org/
So many people are doing service work, and there is such a great need. Don't know where it will take me, but I'm exploring options. 

Education increases the options we can explore. The Scheel Center (see earlier blog post: Part 12) is in the process of raising $10, 000 to fund their school here.  Their deadline is Easter Sunday, April 24th, and they've already raised $4,000. If you want to contribute, please go to www.globalgiving.org. Type "Scheel Center" into the website's search box, and you'll find donation options that will benefit The Scheel Center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment